Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Beginning

Ashlynn Kay a beautiful, sunny, optimistic, bossy, stubborn, ray of sunshine, brunette, cute, short, adorable, baby doll faced, girl. The child who created the Mom I am today. What started as a fear in pregnancy is now a fear as a child. While pregnant I feared for her an the type of mother I would be. I worried about the world I was brining her into, and the future for both of us. After realizing that these things were all in my control, I have a greater fear...
Her Health

In December of 2012 just shy of Ashlynn's 2nd birthday we started noticing a slight turn in her left eye. In March of 2013 she was diagnosed with amblyopia which basically describes the slight turn. The ophthalmologist prescribed patching for 2 hours daily until July. After patching for a few weeks the family started noticing how large, swelled up, and red Ashlynn's eye was getting on occasion. At times her eye would turn and stay "stuck" in the bottom lower corner of her eye. She would complain of pain and rub her eye for long periods of time. At times her eye would look so large that it appeared to not fit in her head.

In June of 2013 I took her back to the ophthalmologist who found what she then called a mass behind her eye. We were sent to a nearby children's hospital for a sedated MRI and CT scan.
Today we know
A. Ashlynn has 2 tumors, one on her optic nerve and one on her brain.
The tumor on her brain shows no signs of growth or danger. The tumor on her optic nerve shows signs of swelling, possible brain damage and blindness.
B. The tumor will be removed via chemotherapy or radiation.
C. Ashlynn is blind in her left eye.
D. Ashlynn was originally 6 months delayed at 1 year in age. She is now only 3 months delayed at the age of 31 months.
E. Ashlynn has 4 café au lait spots. One on her collar bone, one on her left hand side, one on her lower back, and one on the shoulder.
F. We will be going to the University of Michigan for genetics testing and Michigan State University for a Neuro-ophthalmologist.
G. Possible diagnosis is Neurofibromatosis Type 1. She has 4 of the most common symptoms at this time.



“Do not be afraid, for I am with you. Do not gaze about, for I am your God. I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness.” (Isaiah 41:10)


No comments:

Post a Comment